Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Monday, Monday (and Tuesday too!)

I know I said I would update on Fridays, but I felt I should share with you what's happened so far.  My first weekend in Sac was great!  There was a free art walk Saturday where we met the other JV Sac house and a few other volunteers from ACE (a Catholic teaching program that's 2 years.)  On Sunday we went to the cathedral, and toured the capital building with a man named Jim who was 70+ and super nice.  Monday was my first day at worked, and it was a shock.  There are so many guidelines to follow, people to meet, and quirks you should know (much like any other job).  We know we have big shoes to fill, and the need here is immense.  (Yesterday we served lunch to over 750 men and women.  (That doesn't include the families who live at the shelter or the children who attend the school.)  By the end of the month, we serve around 800 or 900 people, and its only getting worse with the economy. 

There is so much to share, it doesn't seem like I've been there for only 2 days.  My brain is flooded with pictures, names, habits, and information I've learned and I'm going to learn that amount again tomorrow.  Just pray for the people I'm working with, and all the homeless in our country.  I can barely imagine the life they lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment