Friday, November 25, 2011

A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart!

One of my favorite Veggie Tales is the story of Madame Blueberry, the blueberry who always wanted more stuff.  All of the songs are terrific (as most Veggie Tales songs are), but my favorite one is this, "The Thankfulness Song:"

I thank God for this day
For the sun in the sky
For my mom and my dad
For my piece of apple pie

For our house on the ground
For His love that's all around
That's why I say "Thanks" everyday

Because a thankful heart is a happy heart
I'm glad for what I have
That's an easy way to start

For the love that He shares
'Cause He listens to my prayers
That's why I say "Thanks" everyday!

That song pretty much sums up my life everyday, except I don't like apple pie!

You have probably guessed what else I'm thankful for: work, Casa Iggy, JVC, health, all my wonderful family, all my new Sacramento friends, all my friends I miss back home, all the people who let me into their lives everyday, etc.  This week has only reinforced those!  I miss home very much, but am so thankful that I got to be apart of Thanksgiving here!

The only day out of the year that Loaves & Fishes does not serve lunch is Thanksgiving.  So many other places serve a Thanksgiving day meal that it is utterly pointless to serve one here.  Instead, Loaves & Fishes has Thanksgiving on the Tuesday before.  There were almost 1200 guests that day!
After the Thanksgiving feast (the kitchen staff started cooking turkeys the day before, 50 extra volunteers came in, and an extra kitchen trailer was brought in just for more oven and stove space) EACH AND EVERY GUEST GOT A NEW PAIR OF SOCKS, GLOVES AND A HAT!  What a great day!

Other bonuses that happened:
- 105 pairs of new shoes were donated on Monday!
- There was so much food left over from Tuesday, that we also had it on Wednesday too!
- Casa Iggy had a great Thanksgiving where we all made dishes from home, so I made. . . PRETZEL JELLO! Although my casa-mates were skeptical, everyone liked it! (Duh. It's pretzel jello!)

Casa Iggy and friends are planning a hike/nature walk in a nearby Redwoods forest today, shopping and karaoke tomorrow, and the Bears and Raiders game on Sunday! 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, it was sooo good to talk to you yesterday, sounds like a great week for you and the people you all serve. have a great week.
    Love ya, Aunt J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Thankful for you in my life and my girls lives!! We love you very much:) We are also VERY thankful for skype so we can see your face and catch up on life! JAnuary will be here soon! Love you-Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys too! That's what I should add to my thankful list: technology so that I can talk to you! (Who ever would have thought I'd be grateful for technology? I hate it so much of the time. . .)

    ReplyDelete